Thursday, June 24, 2010

Fair Trade

These days when I hear “Fair Trade” I usually think of coffee.  Fair trade, which is intended to support decent wages and higher social standards, includes many other goods including handcrafts, cocoa, chocolate, tea and other items. 

When I was young a fair trade meant that my brother gave me what I considered to be the right amount of marbles for a handful of Jujubes.  With that definition in mind, this is my fair trade.  Every week a friend drives to my workplace, drops off the Sunday paper and picks up the coupon packets from my paper.  She is heavily into couponing and needs 4 sets of coupons for the best discounts.  I’m thrilled because I don’t have to concern myself with running out of newspaper for my bunnies’ litter boxes.  I ran out once and had to use wood shavings – it was awful.  As a bonus, the newspaper comes in plastic that’s used to protect it in the rain, which these days seems to be every day.  Sometimes the plastic from Sunday's paper is printed with advertisements and I’ve been waiting to have enough to spin some into yarn.  Here’s a pic of the yarn that I spun from the printed plastic.  What I learned while spinning was to avoid doing it on a hot, muggy day.  I had a dickens of a time getting the plastic to feed through the spinning wheel’s orifice and most of the time had to wind it on the bobbin manually.
 To see more of my plastic yarn and some of the items I made from it, here's a link to the yarn section of my Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Kruser?section_id=5414269

No comments:

Post a Comment